April 29 saw the openings of three new wide releases, but none of them were strong enough to take down Disney’s The Jungle Book.
Jon Favreau’s live-action take on Rudyard Kipling’s tale earned an estimated $42.4 million over the weekend, bringing its domestic total to $252 million. (Worldwide, it currently stands at $685 million.)
The Jungle Book will continue its successful run for the next few days, but its greatest challenger to the throne arrives on Friday, in the form of Captain America: Civil War.
- The Jungle Book ($42,439,000)
- The Huntsman: Winter’s War ($9,390,000)
- Keanu ($9,350,000)
- Mother’s Day ($8,302,319)
- Barbershop: The Next Cut ($6,125,000)
- Zootopia ($5,006,000)
- Ratchet and Clank ($4,823,000)
- The Boss ($4,250,000)
- Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice ($3,810,000)
- Criminal ($1,325,000)
(Source: Box Office Mojo)